It seems there is a lot of conflicting advice out there for the aspiring MTL puas on the best spots to pick up. Well, I’mma break it down, specifically for the younger(read, broke) crowd like me.
This is the first part in a two part series, we will specifically focus on nightgame spots in this one.
http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2012/12/montreal-bars-and-nightclubs-data-sheet-updated.html The G Manifesto wrote a MTL bar/club datasheet, but I had a few problems with his list. First of all, I don’t know old G is, but he seems like an older dude(mid 20s/early 30s). All the places he recommends are extremely expensive and pricey(Koko/Buonanotte). I have been to almost everywhere on his list and typically, the places he likes are similarly pricey, upscale and attract an older crowd. Good for you if you have lots of cash, but when you’re a broke college student trying to have a good night on a 20-40$ budget, his list is utterly useless.
Anyways, here is the Young Player’s Night Guide for Montreal.
Before you head out
1. If you know you’re going out later in the night, do a few day game approaches. Get in a social vibe early on so you’ve got the first few approaches behind you and are on a roll. Think of it as practice for the real thing later tonight. From that point of view, there is a lot less pressure and you actually work on your day game. If you’re a student, the McGill/Guy-Concordia/Peel metro are hotspots for that. There’s usually a bunch of hot college chicks with their guards down. Approach, get in a quick convo, find out what station they’re getting down at and make sure you number close before they have to get off
2. You’ve gotten a number or two, or maybe none, but you’re feeling good, you know what you did right/wrong in those interactions and won’t repeat the mistakes later tonight. You get home, shower(or not, studies have shown the manly smell of musk and sweat is attractive to females), get dressed up and figure out whether you are heading solo or going with a gang. This is a big point. Going solo forces you to approach whether you want to or not, but doesn’t put you in a very social mood(this is circumvented by doing day approaches) and also guarantees you have no wingman for those 2-3 sets. Going out with a gang puts you in a more social mood, but this can easily lead to a night of fun drinking and interesting conversation making you forget your initial goal and approaching very little. In addition, if your friends are not the approaching type or are socially awkward, there is a good chance they will ruin some of your pickups by being weird.
I typically go alone nowadays, but I know a lot of people so I always run into someone I know later on and circumvent both the downsides of going out alone as well as the downsides of rolling with a group.
3. Once you’ve figured out whether you’re going out alone or with a crew, it’s time to start predrinking. Alcohol in bars and clubs is expensive. A few beers in your system before heading out will typically reduce your expenses by a lot.
Beer at the depanneur = 1.50$
Same beer in a bar = 5$
Get to predrinking. Depending on my budget for the whole night, I either buy a 40 oz of 10% Molson and down it before heading out, or have 2-3 small beers if I have more money to go around.
PS: Disregard this if you don’t drink, but understand that you will have a harder time relating and understanding drunk assholes when you’re sober as a motherfucker, and will probably have a lot less fun. Oh yeah, the bartenders will hate you.
4. Figure out what time you wanna head out. From my experience, when you’re solo, you wanna go before 12, get a prime spot, sip some fine liquor and do a few warm up approaches. When you’re with a group it doesn’t really matter, though if you get there early, there is a chance that you and your buddies will get hammered and unfit to pickup chicks. People in groups tend to drink a lot more.
Picking your venue.
I typically check 2-3 spots per night depending on the neighborhood I’m in. You might wanna stay in the same venue all night and that’s fine, but sometimes going someplace else and coming back can dramatically improve the amount of fine females present, and assuming you did a few approaches in the other spot, your game will be much sharper.
Anyways, here is the Young Player’s Montreal Spots to Hit List
Let’s start off with Saint Laurent, the party strip of Montreal. Good mix of French/English spots here
I don’t know what happened to our friend G here. Maybe his swooping tactics didn’t work, or there weren’t enough “fly” girls but he doesn’t like it. Eh, I understand, younger crowd place.
Korova is for all intent and purposes a dive bar with less sleaziness, and it is wicked. This is hands down my favorite spot in Montreal and I am here 4/7 nights, and I know everyone here. It is a bit hipsterish(what the fuck does this word mean anyways) according to some, but hipster chicks look good. The crowd here is mainly anglophone college students, so if your French is wack, it should be your go to spot.
It has a bar area and a dancefloor for when it gets packed which usually happens after midnight. The staff is super friendly(I have received a lot of free drinks) and there is usually a good amount of young, hot and tight chicks looking to hook up, no strings attached. Status doesn’t really matter here, it’s all about your game.
The drinks are cheap(by bar/club standards anyway) and the cocktails aren’t too bad. They also have some amazing specials. If you come before 11, you can get a tallboy(650ml) of PBR(cue hipster joke) and a shot of Jack for a whopping 5$. Yup, 5$. That’s the equivalent of 2 regular beers(8$) and a shot of 40% liquor(4$) for 5$. Some of my scummier friends by 3 of those, ask the bartenders to keep their beers and have alcohol for the rest of the night for a whopping 15$(20, since my friends tip and are not that scummy). They also have a special for shots where you buy 3 and get one free, so that’s 4 shots of any combination of hard liquor for 12 bucks. Not too shabby. Oh yeah, they also have cider, my guilty alcohol pleasure. There aren’t that many bars/clubs which carry cider, so it’s a nice touch, especially for someone like me who doesn’t really enjoy beer.
The music here is themed by the day. On Mondays they have a hybrid of old hiphop/rnb. Mondays are the best nights by far. During the school year, they host an event called “Sucka Free” Mondays. The place ALWAYS gets packed and there is usually a line outside by 1 because the place is FULL. Good night for a ONS
Tuesdays have a sort of quiz/trivia night. It’s fun and is a more relaxed vibe. Good to make new friends and pick up under the radar. Not too sure what’s the theme, though I heard this song there once, and it was awesome.
Wednesdays are slow. Dubstep is played if I recall correctly.
Thursday is a good night. Expect the place to be full of hot chicks by 1 AM. If you like dancing, good for you. They play 60s soul/funk music like this:
Friday is another good night, just like above, you can expect the place to be packed by 1AM. More rap than anything
Saturday is my 2nd favorite night. A hybrid of old hiphop and top 40. Lots of hot chicks looking to get swept off their feet.
Sunday is ehh but what the fuck do you expect on a Sunday night. Though it’s pretty random, one night there was some sort of college film students event and the place was packed. Another night there was a projector with a N64 and Golden Eye hooked up. Fun times.
They charge a 5$ cover on Fridays and Saturdays, but it’s well worth it. Amazing spot.
It’s located on 3908 Saint Laurent Boulevard.
Located right next to Korova. The place is alright. They have free pool, cheap beers and a few hot girls on weekends, though they are usually in mixed sets. They also serve food if you’re hungry. Oh yeah, they have a bathtub/jacuzzi and occasionally there’s a hot bikini waitress on weekends. Hot. It’s more French but everyone speaks English.
Located to the left of Korova, this is a much older crowd place. By older, I’m talking 40s. It’s more of a sausage fest than the two bars next to it. The pool tables aren’t free. It seems like more of a place to go watch the hockey games than anything else. Don’t really feel it
This place attracts more of a 21-27 y/o demographic. The girls are hot and relatively classy, I like this place quite a bit. However, it is more of a status driven place. Nothing tight game can’t change though. More of an anglophone place, the decor and ambience is quite prone to seduction games. Check it out. Best nights are Tue, Thur, Fri and Sat.
3874 Boulevard Saint Laurent
Those in the know joke that Korova is for your college years, Blizzarts for when you actually start making money, and Sparrow for when you’re midway through your career. The 3 bars are owned by the same guy, and the joke accurately reflects the crowd that frequents it, though a few college student stragglers frequent it as well. Like it’s sister bar, it has themed nights where the ambience of the place drastically changes due to the type of music played. The place is quite cozy, with comfortable couches installed in booths and an area for dancing. The decor is nice and the lights give it a seductive vibe when it’s not too packed. Staff is nice, drinks are a bit more expensive than Korova and they also lack their specials, but they also serve cider, big plus for them. Still, a nice spot for a date on weekdays, and a pretty good pickup spot on weekends, though they charge a 5$ cover.
Wednesdays has a reggae/dancehall night which is pretty cool if that’s your music. Thursday is more sceney with the DJs promoting up and coming artists. Fridays has GOOD hiphop and rap, and tons of tight chicks. Gooood day for picking up. Saturday is more of a 60s soul, rock n roll though they do play some crowd pleasers. Never been on Sunday. The French and English crowd here mix harmoniously like the Yin and the Yang
3956A Boulevard Saint Laurent
Blue Dog Motel
I have a love hate relationship with this place. There is something about the layout of the bar which rubs me the wrong way. On nights where it is packed, navigating from the dancefloor area to the lounge part is tedious as it’s narrow as fuck. The lounge area though is extremely comfortable, and very useful for isolating. I like places with a separate, comfy area for isolating a girl you picked up on the dancefloor or around there.
The drinks are relatively cheap, they have some decent specials like the 4 vodka shots for 10$, or a tall can of PBR + whisky shot for 8$. The female bartender makes a mean Amaretto sour, nothing can touch it.
This place attracts a similar crowd as Korova, mainly college students though there are a few young twentysomethings around. As usual with college girls, expect tight, hot young easy sluts. Great spot for picking up to be honest, especially if you dance. There is never any cover so no need to worry about that. Saturday nights here are insane with the club often reaching max capacity. It’s pretty easy to score drugs here as well if that’s what you’re into. Just ask any seedy looking person if they know where you can find X drug. It’s also more of an anglophone crowd. Best nights are Thur/Fri/Sat, they usually play hiphop, top 40, trap music.
3958 Saint-Laurent Boulevard
This place is overly hyped. Drinks are overpriced, girls are pretty hot but act like the second coming of Christ and most of the guys are assholes. If your French is not on point, good fucking luck. Negs work wonders here(actually one of the few bars I use harsh negs) In addition, the covers are a bit more pricey. Bleh. The good thing about this place is that it has two floors. The second floor is insanely good for isolating and creating an “our world” bubble. You usually get a younger crowd of francophone college students and cegepers with a few outliers.
Best days are Wednesdays, Fridays and Sat. The Wednesdays are insanely popular despite(or because of? I dunno) the screeching, blaring dubstep that assaults your poor ears. If that’s your thing, you know where to go.
4483 Boulevard Saint-Laurent, Montréal, http://www.lebelmont.com/v2/accueil.php
Literally the only thing G got right. This place is whack. I met one of the owners once and he told me what I already suspected, this is usually a spot for golddiggers and girls who just wanna tease. Thursdays are less pretentious because a few hot college students roll up and level the playing field, but the other days suck. They also charge an outrageous cover, 10$ or something. Drinks are expensive too. It is also the only good spot on Sundays, which is why my Sunday night is spent at home. The dancefloor area is too big. They ONLY play hiphop and rap, all day every day. Music is also too loud, making it hard to chat chicks up. However, they have a heated outdoor patio where you meet some cool people and can actually have a conversation and light a cig without leaving the building.
Too pretentious for me, but I will give it a few more shots as I have had some fun nights here. Good nights: Thursday/Fri/Sat/Sun
3709 Boulevard Saint Laurent
Big In Japan Bar
This is hands down the BEST BAR to go on a date at. Not so much for picking up, but if you wanna impress your date in a “yeah, I know, I’m cool like date” casual way, this place will do it. I guarantee this place will get her vagina dripping and craving your throbbing cock. It is a bit expensive but their drinks are STRONG. They have some interesting and very tasty cocktails. They have japanese whisky bottles hanging around. Apparently you can buy one, and if you don’t finish it, they keep it for you and put your name on it. Pretty classy to roll in and the staff pulls out a bottle with your name. I usually get a bourbon lemonade. The layout of the place is swanky as fuck, and the ambience is amazing. The waitresses are dressed in a classy uniform and are pretty cute. Not really a pick up spot, but an amazing date spot. Thur/Fri/Sat are really busy and you might have to wait a while to get a seat if you come late, so come here on a weekday or Sunday.
4175 Boulevard Saint-Laurent Montréal, QC H2W 1Y9
The one place I’ve never been. Heard bad things, and there’s always a huge line, so I’m not really interested in finding out what I’m missing out on
The next good street is Saint Denis. It’s a lot more French than it’s sister, Saint Laurent.
Good spot. Unpretentious, young french crowd. Girls here are a bit lower quality but they are down as fuck. You better speak french if you come here. Lots of chicks though. Fri/Sat are best nights
4479 Rue Saint-Denis
El Zaz Bar
Ok place for a chill gathering. Don’t expect much in terms of a pickup, though this is the first place I ever got my first night stand with a cute quebec chick, a year and a half ago. Music is generally pretty good, crowd is random as fuck. Sometimes there’s groups of cute, tight young chicks, others you get 30-40 people. They also serve cider, which is a plus. Nice patio too, I imagine that it will be a lot better in the summer.
4297 Rue Saint-Denis
La Shop has a great premise. 2$ dollar drinks. Mixed drinks, shots or beer, everything is at 2 dollars and not watered down. This place is extremely unpretentious and attracts a bit of a younger(I met a few 17y/os here), trashier crowd. It’s a fun spot but there aren’t usually a lot of people when I show up, maybe they come later? Great spot to get hammered at if you want to save money. I have no issues with this sort of place. Though they charge 2$ cover, but really, who gives a fuck when you’re getting 2 dollar drinks. It is generally a lot more bumping in the summer, so I will be going here more often as it warms up. Mostly french crowd again.
4177 Rue St-Denis
One of the most popular spots in Montreal. This is majoritarily French. They have 3 bars, the main one, the outdoor one on the heated patio, and the underground one which is not open all the time. Each bar has a very distinct atmosphere. The outdoor one is a bit classier and is my favorite. You can also smoke here. The underground one is more of a nightclub with a dance floor and plenty of hiphop music playing when it’s open. The ambience is very sexy and very opportune for picking up.
The crowd is very diverse, ranging from 18-30 ish. This place is PACKED on Saturdays. The line extends all the way to the next street, which is ridiculous in and of itself. Lots of quality quebecois girls here, every day of the week. Fridays and Saturdays(by a wiiiide margiin) are the busiest nights here.
403 Rue Ontario East
This is a nice spot. Big dancefloor area, good crowd, hot bartenders and waitresses, and a big loungey area with comfortable seats. Also a decent place to score some drugs, though you’ll have to be a bit sneaky about it since the cops often come around here. Lots of cool black people here(when I say lots, it’s comparative. Merely more than other places), and a decent mix of anglo/french crowd. The best nights are Wednesdays, where they have an event called ASAP Rocky Wednesdays, where they play good modern hip hop, as well as more classic tunes. Place gets full real fast, and the girls are pretty hot, but a bit pretentious. I love this place. Thursdays, Fri and Sats are awesome too, but nothing comes close to the Wednesday parties.
351 Rue Roy
There are few noteworthy places downtown. I have given up on it unfortunately. The clubs are usually expensive and full of douchey guys and girls. The pubs are fun though for a night out with friends or just for a quick drink. Just head to Crescent street and look around. Hurley’s has some nice cider but attracts a bit of an older crowd. McKibbins, Madhatter, Cock n Bull is pretty much standard pubfare. The Sir Winston Churchill Complex higher on Crescent is a more upper scale place. We had our Dominos staff party there, on the 3rd Floor at a swanky place called Karina Club where all the Dominos employees were invited. I remember making out with a married chick and getting slapped by her friend. I’m not the married one, WHAT THE FUCK?
Anyways, now that you know where to go and where not to go, you need a PROCESS. The main reason for the mystery method’s success is that it provides a process, telling you exactly what to do. It’s a bit hard to know which stage you’re in but still, it’s very explicit. Similarly, here is my process broken down step by step.
1. Do some day approaches earlier.
2. Predrink and watch softcore porn to get turned on
3. Pick my venue
4. Get there early, pick a prime spot where I can open lots of chicks with minimal effort(like sitting at the bar)
5. Build some social proof by chatting bartenders/bouncers
6. Get some warm up approaches under my belt while sipping fine ciders. Open however you want. “Hey” or “Looking good missy” seems to do it for me. Establish her as the pursuer early on by misconstruing everything she says as a sexual come on.
6.5. Occasional venue change/smoke break
7. Screen for compliance and investment quickly and never waste time with a girl(If she’s not sitting down with me after 5 minutes, I eject. Lots of chicks like wasting your time, getting investment is the only way you know if they actually like you or not). Ideally, you wanna get her number here.
8. Once compliance and investment established, run the cube while holding her hand and running my finger across it. You gotta kino or you will NEVER, EVER score. Don’t be afraid of kino.
9. Find out more about her after cube routine. Generally she will completely open up at this point. Doesn’t matter if your cold reading was off, if you ask her the right questions, she will open up.
9.5. Occasional venue change or smoke break
10. Keep escalating your kino with push pull. Be flirty and smooth, but not overtly so. Keep her guessing. Think James Bond.
11. If you see that she’s comfortable and responding well to your kino, stop talking and stare her straight in the eyes without saying anything for like 4 seconds. Hold her head with one hand(your thumb should be on her cheek) and go for a kiss very slowly. If she doesn’t pull back, keep going until you’re almost there then stop. Whisper “not here” in her ear and leave the club with her.
12. Keep talking about random stuff as you head to yours or hers. Keep her comfortable, and don’t act too happy or different now that you know you are getting laid. Nothing will dry her pussy up faster than a man who changes just because he knows he has a chance at getting some ass. Control that inner beta in you.
13. Keep some condoms around.
14. Kiss her within 3-10 minutes of entering her place or yours
15. Act like you are gonna rawdog her. If she doesn’t object, she’s a slut, fuck and dump her. If she asks for a condom, good, she might be worth it. If she takes out a condom, make sure you look at the box of condoms later to determine whether you wanna pursue a relationship with her.
16. Decide whether you wanna turn her into a relationship/add her to your rotation or whether it was a one night thing. If it’s a one night thing, do the walk of shame early in the morning if you’re at hers, or tell her you have to be up early tomorrow for work if you’re at yours(I don’t recommend the latter, she will feel used and I won’t be surprised if you get accused of rape).
17. If you wanna turn her into a relationship, fuck her good and hard, don’t be a greedy lover. The odds are you won’t make her cum the first time, so at least give her massive foreplay, fuck her aggressively and dominantly, talk dirty, play with her twat and kiss her all over her body. Give her a foot massage too, they love that shit. Fuck her as much as you can, and fuck her in the morning again to reassure her that it wasn’t a mistake. Then go out and get some breakfast/lunch together, and fuck her some more after that if you can handle it. I guarantee you the girl will be all over you, especially if you fucked her good. Even if you didn’t, just little gestures like massaging her feet, not rushing, talking dirty and fucking her dominantly will but you in the top percentile of guys she’s fucked.
Congrats, you’re now in a relationship if you want it, or in a fuck buddy arrangement.
Stay tuned for part 2, day Game.
PS: I left out a few clubs, and there are some places I haven’t visited. This is not meant to be exhaustive, but as a guide for a young person with a limited income to the good spots of the Montreal night scene.
Leave any recommendations in comments